November 7, 2017 | A to Z Wineworks
Chef Amy's Fried Chicken
- 3 lbs. bone-in chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 3 tbsp. Tony Chacere's Seasoning
- 1 tbsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 qt. Buttermilk
- 3 c. all purpose flour
- 2 qts. vegetable oil for deep frying
- Dry the chicken pieces with paper towels and place in a large bowl.
- Mix 2 tbsp. of the Tony Chacere's seasoning and 1 tsp. of the salt & pepper. Rub into the chicken skin.
- Pour the buttermilk over the chicken and cover. Place in the refrigerator for at least one hour, up to four hours.
- Place the flour and the rest of the seasonings in a large bag or bowl and dip the chicken a few pieces at a time into the flour. Place on a rack over a baking sheet and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pot to 375° (I like to use an enamel-coated cast iron dutch oven), and preheat the oven to 350°.
- Working in batches, fry the chicken for about 5-6 minutes on the first side and then gently run them over and fry for another four minutes. Place the chicken on a clean rack over a sheet pan in the oven until the thickest part registers 165°.
Pair with: A to Z Bubbles